The speaker in general can consists from the following parts:
- a coil (thread,wire …)
- a neodymium magnet
- a vibrant material (plastic, fabric, paper …)
I wanted to design home made coil. By researching interesting ideas and designs I run into optimize coil design made by Plusea.
My design approach for workshop was
1 / designing coil from wire
Wire needs to be isolated. By using a wider isolated Cu wire and an old slovenian weaving technique the result can be very interesting coil design.
2 / designing coil from thread
I was looking for isolated threads. Because I couldn’t find them so easily I was thinking to made them.
My aim was to make different conductive materials isolated. First I was playing around with threads, nail polish and paint. Later I tried all conductive materials and all paints I found on workshop.
Nail polish and paints:
- Red nail polish Superdry Tokyo Hot Rods
- White nail polish with glitters Spoiled by Wet n Wild Pearl White
- Jones Tones Utra Paint Glossy Super Fine Tip
- ABC LATEX Regia
1 / THREAD
- painted with red nail polish on one side (laying on paper) : not good isolated (still conductive on some parts)
- painted with white nail polish on one side : not good isolated
- painted with red nail polish from every side (by holding it) : good isolated, thread stays flexible
and dipped in the same nail polish : good isolated, thread becomes inflexible
- painted with Jones Tones : good isolated, thread becomes inflexible
- with ABC Latex : not good isolated
2 / CONDUCTIVE FABRIC
- painted with red nail polish (1 layer) : good isolated. Material stays flexible and nail polish isn’t coming off from the Cu material.
- painted with red nail polish in 2 layers : good isolated. Material is flexible and good for sewing.
- with white nail polish White Pearl : not good isolated and after applying 2 layers : still not good isolated.
3 / NON WOVEN RESISTIVE MATERIAL (0,35M ohm)
- after applying nail polish all the paint is absorbed into the material (Maybe other paint can be more effective. For example Jones Tones, Insulating Coating GC Electronics)
With thicker materials can be problem about absorbing all the paint (thicker threads and other materials).
The most interesting to me was finding that I can make isolated material by applying single layer of nail polish. The results are changing depend of a nail polish, a basic conductive material and a methods of paste. Nail polish needs to be evenly applied on thread. Some of the materials are not good for painting because they absorb the nail polish. And the nail polish needs to be solid liquid/paint, without glitters and other pieces.